Saturday, April 26, 2008

Los Pensamientos Rapidos

Hey, I wrote "infrequent ramblings" in the header. Don't say I didn't warn you. End of the semester matters have really prohibited me from spending any time posting, but I'll be able to update with some semblance of regularity in a week or so. To tide you over, here's a few quick thoughts.

1. I wanted to do some in depth coverage of the Falcons draft, but...um, I didn't. Our obvious needs are DL (excluding DE), OL, and QB. I want Jake Long, but our chances look slim there. By "slim", I mean "nonexistent". I hope Dorsey falls to us, but that's looking less likely. If Dorsey isn't available at 3, all hell breaks loose. Ideally, I'd want us to trade down so we could get Sedrick Ellis somewhere around picks 8-10. That would be great, but the trade front has been pretty quiet (of course, what do I know?). I'm surprised there aren't more teams clamoring to move up for RunDMC or Chris Long. Both are great prospects, but they don't fit in with our needs whatsoever.

There are a couple of postJL first round OL options (Ryan Clady, Jeff Otah), but I'm not wild about any of them. Maybe I'm just bitter after Jake Long spurned me, and I now curse all first round linemen. As for QB, please, please, Senor Dimitroff--don't draft Matt Ryan. I was pimpin' him like a young Cambodian boy last fall, but I have come to my senses. He is apparently "smart" (racist media?), but even his strongest supporters admit to his lack of skillz and upside. They keep repeating "He doesn't have the strongest arm or the fastest legs, BUT..." like it is a badge of honor! I don't think it is. I'd much prefer we take a flyer early second round because Ryan is far from a sure thing. If we pick him third and make him the face of the franchise, he better be a sure thing. There are plenty of moderately rated QB options to pick from after Ryan: Flacco of the laser rocket CANNON arm, Brohm of the incredible dropping draft stock, Woodson of the remembrance of things past, Henne, Ainge, or Booty of the D-1 contendahs. I would much prefer one of these guys second round than M-Rye third overall (in this order: Brohm, Flacco, Henne, Woodson, Ainge, Booty).

Unfortunately, my nightmare scenario looks likely -- Rams select Dorsey and we don't have a trading partner. I think that forces Atlanta to pick Ryan (and I pray the Ravens or someone wants to trade for him post-selection). We don't want to make a glaring reach pick, QB is a position of need, and it's probably a good PR move. Falcons fans seem pretty split about Ryan, but most of the (arrogance alert) "more informed" fans seem against him. As for the rest of the draft, I love how many picks we have. It should be fun, and somebody is going to get a steal with Tashard Choice.

2. The Braves beat the Mets tonight, and I'm starting to feel pretty good about the team. I wish I posted my predictions on time because you would all bow to my prescience (Yunel + Jair = joy + incredibly baby names). I'll do a roster run-through eventually, addressing my thoughts past and present, so you can look forward to that (in September!).

3. The Hawks are in the playoffs?
Awesome!
Oh, I missed the first two games?
Yeah, but those were road games and--
By more than 20 points?!
Both times?!
Well, shit. I'm glad I didn't watch those games!*

*Not true. My masochism knows no bounds.

I'll keep it at that. I was not as brief as I planned, and now I'm going to fail some college crap. Thanks a lot, you guys.

>>Update 4/26 3:03 PM<<

Miami selected Jake Long (surprise!), and word is St. Louie is planning on taking Chris Long. There is some talk of them trading down, but the fruit of Howie's loins looks like he's the pick. That should open us up to take Glenn Dorsey, but I can feel it...we're going to take Matt Ryan. We are going to. I'm scared. That said, I could definitely be wrong about M-Rye, and I will support him on our team. I won't spontaneously combust if we pick Ryan, but please, please pick Dorsey! Please!

>>Update 4/26 3:19 PM<<

Dammit. Dammit. Dammit. The fact that we took Ryan when Dorsey was still available hurts my soul. My soooouuuuullllll.

2 comments:

Drew said...

It's 1:55 P.M. and I am about to leave for work and I won't be back until 10 P.M. The Braves are winning 1-0 and the Rams have just announced they are taking Chris Long.

When I get home, I fully expect the Falcons to have taken Matt Ryan, the Braves to have lost 2-1 (both runs off of Resop), and the Hawks to have, um, been awesome.

That's masochism.

Grundle said...

i hope matt ryan has dogs...