Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I Thinking Fanhood

I missed all 3 games tonight, and so far have only watched maybe 6 quarters of the playoffs. Damn. I didn't mention in the last post but I unwittingly passed out just as the Hawks-Celtics game started because of April twentieths festivities. I’m ashamed of myself. I question my status as a die-hard fan. For missing game 1, not because of my prediction that they'll lose in 5 or get swept. I shouldn't have to think a team will win games or playoff series just because of how much I loves that team. I shouldn’t have to think the Hawks can take 2 or more games from the Celtics. I shouldn't have to think that the Hawks can take this series from the Celtics just because I’m a die-hard fan when I know it'll take short of a miracle, and I don’t believe in miracles.

Die-hard fans don't have to be blind about their team's chances or clueless about the other teams' skills and abilities, it just means that they'll stand by and live by every hardship and success that the team goes through no matter what, or rather, "stubbornly resisting change or clinging to a seemingly hopeless or outdated cause." I go through Billy Knight's drafts and trades, I go through shots of Mike Woodson's blank went confused face during televised games, I go through Josh Smith's fickle and negative attitude, I go through Marvin Williams's 12.1/5.3/1.4 and not Chris Paul's 18.2/9,5/4.5, I go through all the bad losses to worse teams; then I also go through JSmoov's blocks and alley-oops, Joe Johnson’s All-Star play, Al Horford's ROY campaign, Josh Childress’s afro and baseline mastery, Zaza Pachulia's fashion style, and 37 wins to finally get into the playoffs. What I didn't go through was the Hawk's first playoff loss in 9 years, and because I fell asleep on a sunny Sunday afternoon?? It's hard being a die-hard.


West preview coming up before game 3s start, hopefully. No empty promises though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I fell asleep too when I went home, but then I woke up and watched the abbreviated slaughter on Sportscenter and felt better. If anybody should be chatting with Flip Murray and nachos on the sideline it's the Celtics.