Monday, March 10, 2008

Playoffs? You kiddin me? Playoffs?!

Hawks fans are a testy bunch right now. Losing 13/16 games (not counting the bizarre double header Saturday because, well, then the numbers don't look as bad) will do that. And , despite a brief vacation, we're still clinging to the 8th seed in the East. Based on our collective misery, it's as if Hawks fan have not realized this. Sure, our grip is tenuous. Yes, if it happens, it will probably be against KG and the Celtics. But, come on! Playoffs?! The Hawks? How are Hawks fans [sic] not thrilled about even the prospect of a playoff series?

Unfortunately, the players don't seem to realize how close we are either. I've read or heard their quotes. I know they are saying the right things about "urgency" and "wanting it so bad my loins burn" (I think that waz Zaza), but do they really get it? Have they been playing with the relentless effort needed to send this team to the post season? I don't think so. And, still, they have a chance. The team should easily be able to hold off Indiana, Chicago, New Jersey, and (sigh) Charlotte. Hollinger has Atlanta's playoff odds at 37% right now, with Indy and Chicago at about 28%. But the Hawks have shown repeatedly that they can't be relied on to do what they should be able to do. A few weeks ago, we were sitting pretty, well ahead of 9th place. We were a stones throw from 6th place, which would keep us from playing Boston or Detroit (worse than Boston for us, I think) in the first round. A couple of West Coast road trips didn't help (7-24 on the road...ouch), but I did not foresee the rapid fall back to crappy play and lottery obscurity (not really). That's why it's so frustrating. They should be able to keep the 8th spot, but hey should have been able to stay near 6th (FYI, Hollinger's odds for 6. Philly and 7. Wash -- 95+%). Enough wistful pondering and pessimistic optimism.

Bret Lagree at the top notch Hoopinion blog laid out his thoughts on our remaining schedule (as of 2/27). I was planning on doing something similar, but I'll keep it short (and the idea thievery low) and just throw out some numbers.

Seed. Team: Games left (Home games left); Games against teams with +.500 records

6. Wiz: 20 games left (10 home); 9 against +.500
7. 76ers: 19 (10); 10
8. Hawks: 20 (10); 6
9. Nets: 19 (9); 10
10. Bulls: 19 (12); 9
11. Bobcats: 19 (6); 10
12. Pacers: 19 (11); 4

Except for the Pacers and maybe the Bulls, we have the best setup of the bunch. 14 of our final 20 games are against teams with losing records (just like us!).

We've been over this, and I know I'm repeating myself, but I know they can do it. They should do it. I don't have much confidence that they will do it, but dammit, we need to be more excited that they might do it! The. Hawks. Might. Make. The. NBA. Playoffs. Still, nobody goes to the games. The fans I talk to or read are sullen and defeated. We all want to bash Woody and/or Billy (don't worry--we'll get to that eventually). Lamenting over Chris Paul is never far away. As Hawks fans, we're trained to be cynical and pessimistic (realistic). But it hasn't been brighter in Hawksville for years. We are so close to the playoffs. We may lose more games than we win and still get there, but isn't the playoffs the ultimate goal? I don't see excitement among the fans, but I should. Let's get pumped, people.

Atlanta: Where playoffs happen.

No comments: